Official Translation of Public Documents

Citizens living in a foreign country (either EU Member-State or not) often need to present a public document to the authorities, such as a birth certificate to get married, or a certificate on the absence of a criminal record to get a job, or a certificate of marital status to be registered with the insurance funds of the country of residence.
If this public document has been issued in hard copy, it sometimes should bear the Apostille stamp proving the authenticity of signature and should be translated along with the accompanying document.
If the document is issued electronically/ digitally then you no Apostille is required, since the authenticity of signature is automatically confirmed – otherwise the signature does not appear at all.

Apostille and EU
• Public documents (eg birth certificates, marriage certificates, or court decisions) as well as their certified copies issued by the authorities of an EU Member State should be accepted as genuine by the authorities of the other EU Member States without requiring Apostille.
• The authorities of the EU Member State to which the document is submitted require the citizen to submit a certified translation of the public document and are obliged to accept a certified translation from any other EU Member State.

Public are the documents issued by a public authority, such as:
• a court or a court official;
• an administrative authority;
• a notary public;
• a public authority;
• an embassy or consulate;

and are issued in the following scope:
• birth
• a person being alive
• death
• name
• marriage, including capacity to marry and marital status
• divorce, legal separation or marriage annulment
• registered partnership, including capacity to enter into a registered partnership and registered partnership status
• dissolution of a registered partnership, legal separation or annulment of a registered partnership
• parenthood
• adoption
• domicile and/ or residence
• nationality
• absence of a criminal record
• the right to vote and stand as a candidate in municipal elections and elections to the European Parliament.

Public Documents accepted in Greece
Acceptable languages are Greek and in some cases English

Issued by the Ministry of Justice:
• absence of criminal record

Issued by the Ministry of Interior:
birth certificate [birth and adoption of an adult (the adoption of a minor is confidential and is not recorded in an administrative document)]
birth certificate extract[birth, living certificate]
• death certificate
marriage certificate [marriage, divorce, legal separation and annulment of marriage]
Certificate of marital status [marital status, divorce, legal separation, annulment of marriage, parental status, citizenship, registered civil partnership and dissolution of a registered civil partnership relationship]
marriage license [eligibility to marry]
civil partnership agreement deed [registered civil partnership and registered civil partnership relationship termination]
certificate of citizenship

Usually the translation cost varies depending on its word count and language. Also, the translation must be certified by a translator acknowledged in the country of submission.

That’s why you should primarily pay attention to two things:
1. The translator must be certified and
2. The translator’s stamp and signature must be authenticated.

ATTENTION: Recently due to the pandemic all documents are issued and submitted exclusively online. You can request them in hard copy (valid for maximum six months) and then scan them; or you can have them digitally signed valid for an unlimited term.


Why trust metaphrasis to have your public document translated:

1. Your translation is internationally accepted
2. Your translation is done quickly and at the best value for money
3. Your translation is delivered either in digital or printed form – both valid
4. The digital signature of metaphrasis is authenticated by the issuing Greek Ministry
5. The Apostille stamp (if accompanying the document) is translated free of charge